Quarried out of the omonymous mountain, which belongs to the mountain chain of Palermo.
It is a quite uniform marble, with gray priming coat which verges to rose-yellow, dotted fossil residues and crossed by darker gray venations that twined each other. It is extremely compact.
Its compactness and the scarce assimilation of water make it and resistent to atmospheric agents and so suitable for external use; anyway it is a vary versatyle material fit for any type of manifacture.
It has been used for more than 1000 years. Particularly present in Palermo, in old restored streets, in the Quattro Canti and in the interiors of Casa Professa. During the last years, thanks to its physical and cromatic characteristics, it is being used all over the world.